Monday 6 May 2013

Gender and the picky eater

I have been on the research trail and have noticed how difficult I find it to stop once I get going.  The topic is food neophobia (fear of trying new foods).

I realise that not all fussy eaters are neophobic - some of them are just plain old stubborn and playing mind games with mum!

I was really surprised to learn though that in the studies I could find, girls are more prone to food neophobia than boys.  Maybe that means that boys are more prone to being just plain fussy and it isn't a fear related thing.  I have read in the past that boys are generally wired to be less risk averse so I suppose it makes sense.

Really interesting to find that early incidence of ear infections seem to be linked to picky eating though. I know I've now got a few weeks worth of reading to work out why that is - wish my mind wasn't always quite so enquiring!

No comments:

Post a Comment